For more than 67 years Youth Service, Inc. (YSI) has provided services to children, youth, and families through an emergency shelter, a crisis nursery, outreach, and prevention services.
Each of these programs maintains a degree of autonomy, a function of the nature of the services offered, the population served, and the particular combination of administrative and service personnel at the location. At the same time, these programs share a common framework of standards and values.
The agency has eight goals, reflecting an institutional obligation to the children and families served, regardless of program. In each, YSI strives to enable clients to meet the following goals:
- A stable living arrangement with the children’s own family, whenever possible
- Empowerment of families so that they can overcome barriers and improve the quality of their lives
- Competence in essential life skills
- Literacy and an appropriate educational plan for all young people
- Work experience and vocational exploration
- An understanding of responsible sexuality
- The opportunity for children and their families to strengthen their identification with their racial/cultural heritage
- The ability and motivation to give to others and to participate in the community